What's My Age Again?

Tuesday (July 29) was my 23rd birthday. I had to work that morning, but I have a great job/boss so I like going to work. My parents even sent me flowers while I was there! I volunteered at Overflow that night and afterward, some friends came over for cake. That, however, was birthday party part 2. On Friday night a bunch of us drove out to Carolina Beach and had a birthday bonfire. We had so much fun roasting hotdogs and making s'mores and just sitting around talking. I have to say, Josh Asselin dug out a dang good fire pit with seating and everything. My favorite part was when they sang "Happy Birthday" to me. It started off with just people in our group singing, but as the song went on I could hear it getting louder because everyone on the beach around us was singing too! And when I blew out the candles (on the monogrammed cupcakes courtesy of Mo) the whole beach was clapping and cheering! It was awesome. But, other than having an awesome birthday party on the beach (which definitely belonged in an episode of Saved By The Bell), what is there to be excited about when turning 23? I mean, Blink 182 says nobody likes you when you're 23. I am willing to bet this is not true in this case, but here are some things I do know about the number 23:
  • It was my grandfather's number when he played for the Brooklyn Dodgers
  • It is the number on the back of Michael Jordan's and Lebron James' jersey.

  • The numbers in 1985 (the year I was born) add up to 23. 1+9+8+5=23

  • The tilt of the Earth's axis is roughly 23 degrees.
  • 23 is one of the most commonly cited prime numbers.
  • David Beckham's number is 23 too.

  • W is the 23rd letter of the alphabet

  • AND, on her 23rd birthday (and an episode of Newlyweds) Jessica Simpson said, "I'm 23! That's ALMOST 25, which is MID-TWENTIES!!"

So I'm 23, which is almost mid-twenties, but while I'm 23 I'll start my first real teaching job, and everyone keeps telling me, "23 was a really good year for me," so we'll see how it goes. I'll keep you posted.

Popular Posts