Bits of Random

The more people that find out about Australia, the more I find myself saying, "I don't know," when asked, "What are you going to do over there?" or "Who are you going with?" but you know what... at this point, I am OK with that. It is only February which means that I am still 11 months away from Sydney. I don't have to have a definite plan right now. I don't have to have it all figured out. In fact, I don't want to have it all figured out right now. Partly because that takes away all the fun of the next 11 months AND because if I already had it all figured out, I would just be sitting... waiting, when I could just go ahead and move, and while I am very excited to go, I am not quite to the point of being completely ready to move there yet. Shoot, I am not even ready to leave Wilmington yet. Oh that will be a SAD day. I've lived in Wilmington equally as long as I ever lived in any other town growing up. When I think about it that way, six years in one place seems to be my limit.
On a completely seperate note, I went to Savannah last weekend to see my friend Mary Elizabeth. I hadn't seen her in sooooo long, but what made it so great was that we were able to just pick right back up where we'd left off. We had such a good time doing a whole lot of nothing. I love that. It was also really good to get to see my cousins, who live in Savannah. I don't get to see them as often as the rest of my family so it was fun to get to hang out with them some and get updates on their lives.

The other day at school the question of whether or not I "suck" came up between some of my students (keep in mind that these are first graders we are talking about). One kid got mad at me for something and says, "Oh my gahhhhh! You SUCK!" Another looks at me and goes, "OH MY GAH Ms. Peacock, he just said you suck!" I said, "I know, I heard him" because I was fully prepared to just ignore the comment and get back to whatever we were doing. The kids, on the other hand were not so ready to let it go. From all around the room I starting hearing kids yell things like, "Ms. Peacock, you do NOT suck!" "She does not suck!" "I can't believe you said that!" "Ms. Peacock we like you. Don't worry, we don't think you suck!" I don't even think that word was even part of my vocabulary until like 10th grade so it kind of blew my mind. I feel like that happens on a daily basis though because I am still somewhat expecting them to be like all the other first graders I have ever come in contact with during my life, and they just aren't. I kind of love it sometimes because it makes me laugh, but sometimes I hate it because they drive me crazy. Haha, what can you do? Especially when these are the same kids who have, with contributions from a couple other staff members and some of my family members, raised over $100 in 2 weeks for the fund raiser our school is doing for cancer research. If your school raises $350, then whatever class raises the most money in your school gets lunch brought to them one day from Olive Garden! Oh yeah, we are going to win. Especially since we still have 3 weeks to go!!

Comments

Popular Posts