Classroom Concert

I'm ending my teaching career with a BANG and officially going down as the best teacher ever, with an assist from Matt Wertz, that is.

Here's the thing... I've been listening to Matt's music since college, so I'm a fan, but living in Nashville, we've become friendly acquaintances. Emily and I ran into him and another friend one day at lunch after church, and in talking to them, I told Matt about my class falling in love with his song "Slow Motion" and becoming big fans of his. The whole time, everyone is going "Nuh uh!" "No way!" "That is so awesome!" and when I finished, Matt says, "Ok, so here's what I'm thinking: I should come out to your school and sing for your class. Could we do that??" "YES!" I said, "That would be so much fun!" We exchanged numbers and agreed to talk later and pick a date. That date finally arrived last Friday!
I had been hinting at a big surprise all week, mostly to keep my kids' behavior in check, and by Friday I was about to burst from excitement. I knew that my kids were going to lose their minds, and I couldn't wait for that afternoon to hurry up and happen! 
Y'all, I can't say enough good things about this whole event. Matt was so kind and so gracious with my kids. He asked all of their names individually, and introduced himself to each of them. He let them ask questions for almost 30 minutes, any question, and answered all of them! He even let my silly boys talk him into singing "Row, Row, Row Your Boat". He was willing to sign an individual autograph for everyone (I said, "Hey, why don't you sign one to the class and I'll make copies.") and took pictures with everyone that asked. When we were getting ready to take a group picture, the kids were so excited to stand next to him that I'm pretty sure he got pushed up against the wall! It was easily the highlight of the year for my kids, and probably one of my favorite moments of my teaching career. I loved getting to see them so excited that he was there, and getting to see the awe on their faces when I told them that the whole thing had been Matt's idea. It was just so good, y'all. So, so good.

Comments

Popular Posts