Language Barrier (of sorts) - part ii

I made it through the week! It has been overwhelming, stressful, and super emotional - but I made it!
While I was in Sydney, I was prepared for my southern accent and sayings to provide a bit of a language barrier, but I also learned quickly that I don't speak coffee. Who knew there would also be a language barrier here in Nashville?! Not me, that's for sure. There are 2 everyday things that I have said, that have garnered strange looks from Emily and friends. We'll call them "ENC-isms".



ENC-ism #1: I parked in the parking deck.
Earlier this week, I met Emily and 2 of her girlfriends somewhere after school, and as we were leaving, Emily and I had a conversation that went a little something like this...
E: Mary Clyde, where did you park?
MC: I parked over there (pointing), in the parking deck.
E: Where?
MC: Right there (still pointing), in the parking deck.
E: Where?!
MC: The PARKING DECK.
E: I'm sorry what? I have know idea what you're saying right now.
MC: The PARKING DECK! You know, that building over there where you park your cars.
E (and friends): Oh my gosh! Are you talking about the parking GARAGE?! HAHAHAHA!!! What is a parking deck?! I have NEVER heard it called that before!

ENC-ism #2: I got pulled for speeding on the way over here.
The next day, Emily and I were on our way to dinner, and I was commenting on the CRAZY drivers that live here in Nashville, when another language barrier interrupted our conversation. Here's how it went...
MC: I mean seriously, people here are crazy when they're driving! And NO ONE goes the speed limit!!
E: I know. It's insane.
MC: No really, I always struggle with 'Do I go the speed limit and get honked at for holding up traffic? Or do I go too fast, but keep up with traffic?'
E: I know.
MC: But then, if I keep up with traffic, I'm always nervous that I'm going to get pulled!
E: What?
MC: I'm scared I'm going to get pulled because I'm going too fast.
E: Like out of a hat? What does it mean when you get pulled?!
MC: PULLED OVER. By the Highway Patrol!
E: Ohhhhhhhhhhh HAHAHAHA!!!!!!! How do you KEEP saying these things that I've never even heard before?!

It's not even like it's just Emily either! When we got to dinner, she asked if they'd ever heard [insert ENC-ism] and they all burst out laughing when she explained! Seriously.
Have you ever said something that you thought was completely normal, and gotten crazy looks for it?

Comments

Popular Posts