I MADE IT! Now I need your prayers...

I think my system is in shock because I'm not hungry. In fact... I've only eaten twice since I've been here. Don't freak out Mom and Dad... I'll eat if I'm hungry. I haven't been to the grocery store yet, but if I get desperate, there is a McDonald's and a pancake restaurant about 100 yards away on one side and a Domino's on the other.

I am still trying to absorb the fact that I am in Australia and at this point am feeling pretty neutral. I'm not super homesick, but I'm not super excited to be here either. It's weird. I also have A LOT of anxiety about trying to venture out by myself... especially using the bus system. I have never once in my life ridden a city bus so it's a little overwhelming to think about trying to figure it out in another country. Also, at this point I can't leave the apartment unless I'm with one of my roommates or one of them is home because our keys don't open the front door to the building (we tried) and I don't have an opener for the door to the parking garage yet. Pray that I get one of those before tomorrow when Renee (one of my roomies) has to go back to work. Otherwise... I'll be forced to be a hermit.
I still haven't been to the city yet, but we've driven around the area we live in a lot and it is nice. There are 2 huge "shopping centres" (I call them malls) nearby. They have EVERYTHING in them... normal stores you would expect to find in a mall, but also grocery stores, cell phone stores, banks, and Target. The grocery store part is the funniest though because you see people wheeling their carts full of grocery bags around the mall like it's nothing. And they have these things called "Travelators" which is basically an escalator with no steps. Like the moving sidewalks at the airport, but at an angle.
Please pray that I will adjust quickly and have the confidence to go out by myself (and the ability to get back in) and the confidence to start trying to find a job... and some idea of where to start. And that I will begin to meet people and make friends... preferably ones who will be willing to pick me up if they want to hang out (I know that's selfish, but it doesn't hurt to ask).

Comments

Popular Posts