Can You Hula?

Watching first-grade boys try to hula-hoop is HILARIOUS!! I guess they either just haven't really learned how to hula-hoop yet, or maybe their motor skills aren't developed enough yet. I don't know. Either way, watching them try is definitely the highlight of my days at school. Some of them can actually do it. They've got the whole move-your-hips-in-a-circle thing down. Some of them think that if they spin it really fast and stand still then that means they're hula-hooping. There are those that think they have to spin, then walk or run to keep it going, some think they have to jump up and down, and some that look like they are doing some sort of frantic dance. Also, I think that, in their minds, singing "Who Let The Dogs Out" really helps. "Watch Miss Peacock, I can hula-hoop and sing and dance all at the same time.... WHO LET THE DOGS OUT!? HOO HOO HOO HOO!!!" These kids would never cut it in Hawaii.


We used to go visit my grandma on the train, and on the way my sister and I would talk to people we met and tell them we were from Hawaii and could speak Polynesian and I'd hold up a 7-Up and say this is called puka-puka-wanini on the Big Island and we'd make up longer and longer names until it took about 10 minutes to say one and about that time we would be there and we'd say aloha and go off to have lunch at my grandma's and my sister would hold up a Mrs. Paul's fish stick and say in Hawaii they call these molo-molo-pooey-pooey and I'd try not to choke on my fruit punch.
- Story People

Comments

Popular Posts